We all store a lot of data. It consists of photos, videos, games, programs, movies and much more.
It is one of a major problem to manage space in hard disks. The older computers don\’t have much space on hard disks.
We can anytime install a new hard disk on our machine, but does it actually make sense? Do you want to spend many bucks just to buy a new hard disk?
The answer is clearly no, as first of all the previous hard disk is need to be taken care of.
These huge updates of windows, software, drivers and many other necessary programs ate the space from your hard disk?
Don\’t worry, we have all the solution listed here. To manage space from a hard disk, you might have to delete some files.
Storage sense is a very cool feature of Microsoft Windows 10. If you are a Windows 10 user, I have good news for you.
Storage sense is a feature which basically allows the user to delete junk files all at one place. It also has an option to delete the previous version of windows after a successful upgrade. To use this feature, follow the steps given below:
- Navigate to settings of your PC
- Now double click on System
- Then click on storage
- You will find Storage sense, Under this Click on Change how we free up space link
- There you will find \’Temporary files\’, check from it which files you want to delete. These includes:
- Delete files from download folder, which have not been modified from 30 days
- Or Delete temporary files that apps are not using
- Or Delete temporary files from recycle bin for more than 30 days
- Under \’Free up space now\’ you can find an option to delete the previous version of Windows. This option is available within 10 days of installation of an update.
- Now Click on Clean Now
NOTE: When you turn on the Storage Sense toggle, you allow the system to automatically delete junk files.
Disk Cleanup is the tool available for a much longer time now. It is well known for its features like Delete unnecessary files along with system restores and shadow copies.
It helps the user to retain much space from the hard disk. I am sharing the steps to use this tool more effectively:
- Click on Desktop and navigate to File Manager
- Right-click on the system drive and choose the Properties option.
- There you will find Disk Cleanup
- Click on the Cleanup System files now
- From the list, Select the files that you want to delete.
- Then Click on Ok
- Finally, Click on Delete Files
To delete shadow files & system restores
- Open File Manager
- Right-Click on the system drive and choose the Properties option
- Click on Disk Cleanup
- Then Click on Clean up system files button
- Now click on More Option tab
- There you will find System Restore and Shadow Copies, click on Clean up button now.
- Then finally, Click on Delete
Analyze Disk Space
If you still cannot find what thing is actually drawing storage from your hard disk, then hold on. You should try to analyze the disk space.
It will tell you which particular thing is eating a lot of space from your disk. This can be done manually, but I prefer the software called WinDirStat.
WinDirStat is a software which scans your whole computer and tells you exactly which folder is consuming your disk. It also let you know about which application is using an extreme amount of data. By which you can uninstall that app.
Uninstall unnecessary Games and apps
You might have installed many games and software. But Do you remember, last time when you used some of them? Actually, the answer is No.
It\’s human psychology which creates its interest in something but just to attract it once. You may have installed many unwanted or I should say unnecessary games and software that you don\’t even use. So it’s time to check and uninstall the ones which are of no use.
To uninstall them, Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall those unnecessary games and software:
- First of all, go to Settings
- Navigate to Apps
- Now click on Apps and Features
- Select the unnecessary game or app that you have installed
- Click on uninstall.
- Repeat until you finish uninstalling all unnecessary items.
Voila, you cleaned up much space that was not being used by anyone.
Use Cloud for storage
Yes! If you have some important files but you don\’t need them at this time, then read this particular part.
We always have some important files but we don\’t need them always, then you should try some cloud storage. There are a lot of online services which provide Cloud storage. These can be free or paid.
If you are a student of well-known College/Institute and have an email account from that Institution, then log on to Gdrive with that account.
You will get 5 TB of storage on Google\’s own cloud storage, called Gdrive. Cloud Storage is being preferred much nowadays.
Let it be your videos, photos, documents or anything which consumes a lot of data. Just upload all of these to the cloud storage. They are safe and secured there.
Delete Duplicate files
You might have copied files to manage disks. But you forgot to delete from the previous drive? Or you have copied the downloaded files from the Download folder but files are still there?
If yes, then you yourself increased the consumption of disk space. If you did so, Don\’t worry. Now delete those files which you think are duplicate. You might find many of these and this will help you save a lot of disk space.
Hibernation is a very useful feature but consumes a lot of data at the same time. Hibernation basically allows the user to shut down the computer without losing the data from the current session.
As you probably have guessed, this acquires a lot of space from the disk. So if you don\’t want this feature, then you can disable it anytime. To do so, follow the steps given below:
- Press Start button.
- Search for Command prompt (Generally known as CMD) and run it as administrator.
- Type the command: \” powercfg /hibernate off \” and press enter.
That\’s it, you have successfully disabled Hibernation. It won\’t affect you much if you don\’t switch off the pc without saving the data. It will just turn off the feature of saving data from the sessions.
Use Software for disk cleanup
There is a lot of software available for disk cleanup/management. I found one of them useful. This software is called CC Cleaner.
This software helps the user to clean unwante
d files, logs of other software, temporary files and much more. This is the software of choice.
It saves a lot of space and the best part is it can run the process automatically. You just have to toggle with settings and Boom! It will save your space and time as well.
Delete Temporary Files
Yes, there are temporary files saved in your system. All of the users don\’t know about that. But you can delete those temporary files, to do so follow the steps given below:
- Press Start button
- Type \” %temp% \”
- Open all the files you see
- Delete the files from the system.
Deleting these temporary files won\’t affect your system but eventually, increase the working of RAM. This will also save some sort of space from your disk. It is always good to delete these files which are not being used.
That\’s it for now. If I missed any of the processes that you use or is very useful, do let me know from the comment section down below. Also Share your feedback/Suggestion regarding our website.